Monday, October 3, 2011

Happy Miraculous Monday from September McGee Studios

"Street Musicians - New Orleans #1"
16" x 20" oil on linen

I completed this painting the evening before my birthday so it has the unique distinction of being the very last piece of the last year of my life!

At any point along the way in this creative process I felt confident about stopping, but I wanted to bring the figures to a point where they held considerable form, give detail to their features, and in doing so, become familiar with these musicians. I could almost hear their music with each stroke.
My plan is to do this image again in a larger format, and to also paint them in pastels! Often I do images in both oils and pastels and sometimes in watercolor or mixed media. Becoming familiar with my subject matter allows me the freedom to be more abstract and freer with color, technique and brushstrokes as I continue on in the series. Familiarity does breed a liberation to focus on the creative process and less on the literal.

I enjoyed this painting. It made me long for a trip to New Orleans. I have not been there since the 80s!!! Mike & Tawnya Bond, collectors and now friends, took this photo
while they were there and knew I would enjoy painting these musicians. I do love to paint musicians - I love music! I spent considerable time formatting the image prior to painting and I wanted to zoom in and capture the essence of the boys on the streets entertaining the passerbys!

Thanks for the music! Thanks to Tawnya and Mike
and I am always grateful for the privilege of being an artist!

This week I am commencing my new year on gratitude and blessings.
I have decided to make my blog my newsletter, so sign up and
keep in touch!

With thanks and blessings on this Miraculous Monday!

September McGee

septembermcgee@gmail.com


STAY TUNED!


No comments:

Post a Comment