Thursday, January 30, 2020

PAINTING OUT LOUD #4

PAINT OUT LOUD  is an "artumentary" of my paintings, from the
original sketch, to the finished oil painting, signed and framed.

This is #4 in my series of sharing secrets and insights into my creative process. 
 An artist learns to paint by painting. Each painting becomes our teacher and 
paves the path for the ones to follow. Sometimes I know where I am going in a 
painting, but often the painting changes direction without warning.  I have learned to go with it.

Now that we have entered into a new decade I am making plans for a new exciting series -
paintings I have never done before...larger images and lots of textures and FUN!

This is a blog about my new oil painting "Little Mozart".

I met this little boy (Dominic) and his parents last summer at the Sawdust Festival in Laguna Beach, CA. They have purchased
several of my paintings over the years.  They love my work and they really enjoy impressionistic art.  We've talked over the phone many times, but because they live in Canada and I'm in California, we hadn't been able to meet in person.  Finally, this summer they came to visit me at the Sawdust Festival in Laguna Beach. This family was such a delight.  Their little boy loves the beach and I was prepared with a pail and shovel kit I bought for him. He is one of the sweetest, most inquisitive, darling little boys I've ever met. His happy demeanor and sparkling eyes made me just want to hug him (which of course I did). His parents were equally as sweet and genuinely kind beyond measure. His mom has sent me pictures of all three children every now and then over the years. For my birthday I received a handmade birthday card from Dominic - with an ocean theme! I love receiving cards made by hand. She recently sent me a photograph of Dominic at the piano. From the minute I saw this photograph, I just knew I had to paint it. It was such an endearing scene, with this sweet little boy! And, adding to the fun, the painting over the piano is mine - "Two Horns" - one of my favorites. I fell in love with this family.  
 It's amazing to think you can fall in love in your booth at an art show.

I was so taken with this wonderful little scene. I initially thought this painting was going to be a slam dunk.  Little did I know how many hours at the easel it would take me to create this darling little scene in their music room with Dominic practicing on the piano.  I changed his hair four times! Hours and hours and layers and layers I finally got what I wanted to convey. I made many changes as I progressed. My goal was to do a painting I would not only be proud of, but one that caught the sentiment of the moment and honored this lovely music room! 
Where would we be without music and art?!


I initially sketched in the painting using a pastel pencil.  My substrate is a stretched linen. The pastel
pencil glides and blends easily on the linen canvas. I used some odorless mineral spirits to help create washes of color.


I added more values and hues, using liquin as my medium.  I wanted to establish my darks and lights.
I kept the palette warm and  glazed in some darks for the piano.


I began putting some detail in his face.  I worked on the books and picture frames
and gave more attention to the window and curtain.  I added more color and
design to the painting in the background. I re-worked my little painting over the piano.


I worked on the curtain and more details on his face.


I decided to change the size of the painting in the background.  I felt the image
was distracting from the figure. I made subtle changes overall to the books
and the frames and his hair. I painted many impressionistic strokes over the piano keys.


I again decided to change the size of the background painting.  At one point I took it
out altogether.  This time I think I've got the right size and toned down the value.
I softened the curtain and window to keep it from competing with the main focus of
the painting.  At this point I am finally happy with his face and hair.


I worked on the curtain and window and brought down that color into the background.
I put more details into the books and frames.  I adjusted his shirt and piano keys.
I gave more definition to the music book and deepened the piano with several
layers of a blue/black glaze.


"Little Mozart"oil on linen, 16" x 20"

Thank you for enjoying my art!

email me for more information!

septembermcgee@gmail.com



Blessings,


September McGee



No comments:

Post a Comment